Our flight was entertaining thanks to the wide collection of movies. 4 movies and a 4 hour nap and we reached NY. Apart from the actual on screen entertainment, you can observe a couple of people watching movies and figure out their movie type –
1. Nostalgic Neeta – Watching Khoya Khoya Chand followed by Devdas… tries to rewind to the part where Shahrukh does the famous drunk ‘Paro’ dialogue
2. Gaming Gautam – Playing online games on the Delta gaming gallery all 14 hours
3. Romantic Radhika – PS I love you, the new Las Vegas movie with Ashton Kutcher and then Penelope, a movie about a pig faced girl who seeks love.
4. Action Arjun – Jumper followed by Die Hard (very upset that Delta is not playing the Dark knight)
5. Sci Fi Suresh – Star Wars collection full time
6. Comedy Chandru – Anything with Adam Sandler or Ben Stiller. Jackie Chan will do too.
7. Bollywood Bina – Welcome, Namaste London, Partner – Anything with Katrina Kaif appeals to this audience, a group I stay really far away from.
8. International Indira – Oscar foreign film winners like Counterfeiters, throw in Almodovar’s Volver and atleast 1 South east asian film.
9. Musical Meena – Across the Universe and Dreamgirls. Rest of the time is spent humming some of the songs and disturbing co-passengers.
One unique set, who aren’t featured above – They are ‘Snoring Shyams’. Tucking themselves in one corner in this cocooned position with 2 pillows and a blanket, these guys don’t move. It looks almost like they are playing dead. You realise they are alive only when the snoring begins. Only one advice – try to get a seat as far away as possible from Snoring Shyams.
Any time spent awake and not watching a movie, we entertained ourselves by observing the crowd. That is how we came up with this –
How do you know that its a flight from ‘India’ to New York –
1. The Gujarati family eating Muttri (Namkeen) a few rows ahead of me
2. This old uncle watching reruns of an Aishwarya Rai interview over and over again
3. This other uncle requesting the steward for a toothpaste toothbrush kit
4. Found a Manickchand wrapper in the loo
5. Jain meals
6. Crying kids (a few of them) – the crocodile tear variety especially
7. Amul butter in the food tray
…. I guess you will find your source of entertainment in your flight when you travel……
….. Till then….